Special Educational Needs

At Kew House the SEN department runs a personalised intervention program. We always work case by case when thinking about specific learning needs. Kew House is all about variety of aptitude and we accept children that are academic, non-academic, sporty, scientific, technical, musical and creative. We seek a range of aptitudes to enrich the school’s diversity. The differing academic needs of our students are catered for. There are four staff in the SEN department, all qualified teachers and very enthused by the challenge of working with children who learn differently. We work by observing children first, then deciding what interventions they might need; we never assume! We will study educational phycologist’s reports if students arrive with one, or recommend one is done if needed. Class sizes are a maximum of 22 and often the classes for the some learners who need additional support are of 8-10. As SENCo, Miss Shaffery has experience working with children who have dyspraxia, dyslexia, autism, ADHD, working memory difficulties and dyscalculia. She is training to be a specialist assessor able provide up to date information and assessment for children going into their GCSEs who may need specific exam access arrangements. Often the small class sizes and carefully differentiated curriculum at Kew House is sufficient provision for children with mild learning needs. All members of the teaching staff are knowledgeable and well qualified to teach children who learn in different ways.

When your child has a place at Kew House please get in touch with Bethan Shaffery to organise a meeting. 

Students may develop special needs at any time in the educational process. These may be cognitive, physical or emotional. Kew House’s Learning Support department works closely with pastoral care and tutorial staff to identify needs at an early stage and provide the support required to enable each student to thrive within the curriculum. Teachers trained in Special Educational Needs work with students internally, but, where appropriate, parents may be referred to external agencies for further support.